The season is upon us, and what better way to get to know our new Opposition by a round of interviews!
Ipswich Town Football Club, or more recently known as, ‘The Tractor Boys’, are Blackburn Rovers first opposition in this years edition of the Football Championship.
Founded in 1878, Ipswich have a long proud history, lifting the League Title in 1961-62, the FA Cup in 77-78 and claiming European Honours in 1980-81.
Playing out of Portman Road, Ipswich has hosted several household names over their great history including Sir Bobby Robson, Mick Mills and Ray Crawford.
So what do our friends at Vital Ipswich think of the upcoming season, Sas catches up with the enemy!
Step Up Mr Dave Davis from Vital Ipswich!
1) Tell us a little about Ipswich. The History, the Origins, the current state of play
We were pretty much the ultimate pub team with a brewery owner running the club in our amateur days. but a converstaion with Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood, led Captain Cobbold taking us professional in 1936.
We won the Football League under Sir Alf Ramsey in 1962 (before Sky ‘invented’ football and the Premier League) the FA Cup in 1978 and the UEFA Cup in 1982 – not bad for a little club out in the sticks.
2) What are your ambitions for season 2012/13. Is promotion a realistic ambition?
Promotion, what’s that. We have been in the championship ten year’s now, the longest serving club in this division. We have no hope of going up under Marcus Evans and Paul Jewell and are probably mid-table at best.
3) Every club has a stand out player, and a footballer who works their socks off week after week, more often than not going un noticed. Who are these footballers at Ipswich
Aaron Cresswell usually puts in a decent shift, while Andy Drury (when fit) works hard.
4) What style of football can we expect to see from your team
Open play, and I mean really open sometimes, with goals galore at both ends
5) What are your thoughts on Blackburn Rovers. Can you see us returning into the top flight
A quality team packed with decnet players. and i know some of the Rovers’ fans give him stick, but i believe Steve Kean is a decent manager and can take you back first time.
6) If there is one player in the Rovers line up you could snap up, who would it be and why
Martin Olsson – a proper defender
7) And finally, what are your predictions for our match up.
We usually do well against better teams and could give you a decent game. I can see us sneaking a 2-1.
Well thats the latest from Vital Ipswich. Do make sure you follow their twitter account @vitalipswich for the latest on our upcoming fixture!
Sasman- Still Missing Emerton!